Ad

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Accidental Explosion Kills 7 Marines At Hawthorne Nevada Army Depot



7 Marines Dead after Explosion at Nevada Military Facility

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 7:54 AM MDTUpdated: Mar 19, 2013 9:58 AM MDT
HAWTHORNE, Nevada -- Seven United States service members are dead, and several others injured after an explosion at the Hawthorne Army Depot Monday night.
The injured have been transported to area hospitals for treatment and further evaluation.
The identities of those killed will be provided 24 hours after primary next of kin notification. The status of those injured will be provided as it becomes available.
"We send our prayers and condolences to the families of Marines involved in this tragic incident. We remain focused on ensuring that they are supported through this difficult time," said Maj. Gen. Raymond C. Fox, II MEF commanding general. "We mourn their loss, and it is with heavy hearts we remember their courage and sacrifice."
The cause of the incident is under investigation.

Lawmakers mourn Marines killed in Hawthorne, NV

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 9:06 AM MDTUpdated: Mar 19, 2013 9:33 AM MDT
Nevada's lawmakers offered condolences Tuesday following an explosion that killed seven Marines in Hawthorne.
Rep. Steven Horsford, D-NV, made the following statement:
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of life as the result of an explosion during a live-fire training at Hawthorne Army Depot last night. I had the honor and privilege visiting the Depot in January, which is located in Nevada's 4th Congressional District. The families of those affected are in my thoughts and prayers, and I pray for the recovery of those in critical condition and receiving medical care. Our office is in contact with the Governor, local officials, and military command to receive updates on the situation."
Sen. Dean Heller, R-NV, expressed the following after the explosion:
"My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones in this explosion, and the entire nation is grateful for the service of those whose lives were lost. I would also like to thank the first responders and medical personnel who are helping the injured, and wish those injured service members a speedy recovery. My staff and I will continue to closely monitor the situation."
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-NV, offered his condolences:
Late last night, seven United States Marines were killed and several others were injured by an explosion during a training exercise near Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada. My thoughts are with those who were injured. My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives. And my sympathies are with their fellow Marines, who are also grieving this loss. Details are still emerging, and I will continue to follow this news closely. I will do whatever I can going forward to support the United States Military and the families of the fallen Marines.
Sen. Kay Hagan of North Carolina, where the killed Marines were stationed, made the following statement:
I was so saddened to learn about the seven Marines from Camp Lejeune who were killed last night in Nevada. Our Marines, and all of our service members, demonstrate their bravery everyday as they serve our country. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the Marines who were killed and those who were injured, and I will continue to monitor the investigation so we can find out what happened and take appropriate steps.
Gov. Brian Sandoval, R-NV, had this to say following the explosion in Hawthorne:
"I am deeply saddened to hear of the incident at the Hawthorne Army Depot this morning. The men and women who work and train there put service ahead of self each and every day. Kathleen and I wish to extend our deepest sympathies to those killed and their families. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured and we pray for their speedy recovery."
Rep. Dina Titus, D-NV, gave this statement following the deaths of 7 Marines in Nevada:
"It was with great sorrow that I heard of the loss of life at the Hawthorne Army Depot explosion last night. This tragic accident reminds us of the sacrifices our servicemen and women make every day to protect our American way of life, in the field and here at home. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends who lost a loved one in Hawthorne last night, and I pray for a quick recovery of those receiving care for their injuries."
Rep. Joe Heck, R-NV, offered his condolences in the explosion:
"This morning we awoke to the devastating news that seven Marines were killed during a training exercise at Hawthorne. This tragic event underscores the fact that whether at home or abroad, all of our men and women in uniform put their lives on the line every day and that the costs of defending a nation are great. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those we lost and I extend to them my deepest condolences. I also thank all of those who responded to the explosion and helped get the injured to safety. I will continue to watch this situation closely and my staff and I stand ready to assist in any way we can in the wake of this horrible event."

No comments: